Monday, November 9, 2009

Take the Wheel and Drive

All right. So it's time for one of my favorite bands. I could lie and say that I have been listening to them since the 90s when they came around, but I have a habit of missing the band-wagons (and making awful puns). Either way, I think this band is very diverse in every album they have put out to date and I'm always impressed.I was introduced to Incubus by my boyfriend nearly four years ago, and I've enjoyed listening ever sense.

From Fungus Amongus to Lights Grenades there has been a beneficial growth and change in the band. Just viewing music videos you can see a change in the band. From grungy dreadlocks in "Take Me to Your Leader" to the clean cut "Anna Molly." However, there is a similar energy throughout all their music. I think the advantage of being a later fan is that it allows me to like both the older and newer songs. Too often when you've been a fan of a band since their beginning, it's hard to accept change, even if it's good change.

My two favorite albums have to be S.C.I.E.N.C.E and Make Yourself. Released in 1997, S.C.I.E.N.C.E, can be described as metal-ish, with an emphasis on the skills of DJ Lyfe on the turntables. My simple say on S.C.I.E.N.C.E  is, "Get excited." This cd a level of energy that can just make someone's day. Doesn't matter if you're in a good mood or a bad mood this is the perfect album to fit that mood. There's not a slow beat on these tracks from "Redefine" to "Calgone"; however, my favorite song has to be "Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song)." The bass line is fantastic right from the start, and it's a non-sappy love song. Another good song is "A Certain Shade of Green," which is asking "what are you waiting for?". Really with a song like this it's got to be more of a motivation to get you moving and on your way.

Make Yourself was released in 1999 and has the radio popular "Drive" and "Pardon Me." Incubus has toned down a bit from S.C.I.E.N.C.E, including Brandon Boyd losing the dreads. Unlike their previous cds, Make Yourself has more of a variety tempo-wise. Songs like "The Warmth", "Miss You", and even "Drive" slow the beat down with more serious lyrics than a girl sitting on a bug hill ("Sink Beneath the Line" - Fungus Amongus). Though I hate to say it because of their high radio play, "Drive" and "Pardon Me" are probably my two favorite tracks. They both have good beats, and really who can't relate to being "twenty-three on the verge of spontaneous combustion."

I have continued to enjoy seeing the changes on each album and will be interested to see where Incubus goes with their next full release (I don't count the best of, with a few randomly new songs of Monuments and Melodies). I have to say that Incubus is one of the best bands I have seen in concert as well. It can be hard sometimes to be able to carry the same energy of recorded tracks onto the stage, but Incubus does it amazingly well. And as a side note, Incubus has created organization called The Make Yourself Foundation, which takes cuts from their profits for charities and participates in similar events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zN9vd9WUiA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJumupL80PA

2 Comments:

Blogger Bianka said...

Hooray! You changed your layout. Now I can write a comment!

I don't know those bands or those songs and that went completely over my head. =) Hehe. I'll try to check out the links, though!

November 10, 2009 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger Britney said...

That's what I get for being lazy with my html and not checking to make sure everything was working ok.

Lol I hope you enjoy some of it and aren't like, "What? This is crap."

November 10, 2009 at 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home